Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Lions, Tigers, and HARPS oh my!

I'll cut to the chase - I bought a harp this weekend!!!! Yahoo! Yippe! Hurray! I've been setting money aside for a while in my harp fund, which received many generous donations from family and loose change from friends. I'm quite pleased with my purchase:


When I was in college, my harp professor would let me take home a harp like this for the summer. That harp was older, black, and had metal levers. This harp is mahogany (which is my favorite wood!!!) and just beautiful! I never thought I'd have a mahogany harp, so I'm just thrilled! The levers are also very nice and move easily to change notes.


In case you were wondering, this is The Folk Harp from Lyon & Healy out of Chicago. This is a very well known harp maker and they are known for their exceptional quality. I'm told this harp is ten years old, but it looks brand new!


This harp has some Irish inspired detailing on the soundboard, which isn't something I was looking for, but I don't mind it. I do want to find out what it is suppose to be on there. Anyone know? I'd hate to have a client ask me what is on there and have to tell them that I don't know!



I got a very good deal on this harp and am very pleased with my purchase. The woman selling it lives ten minutes from us, which was nice so I didn't have to drive halfway across the state just to see it. Ed and I looked at it at 11 Sunday morning and called her back an hour later telling her we'd take it! I would have been kicking myself if I had turned down this beautiful instrument. She also let me have three Irish/Keltic harp books (two of which are from Sylvia Woods) for free!



The other nice thing about this harp is easy to transport. You simply take off the feet, place it in it's cary bag, and away you go. It is able to fit in the trunk of my little Honda without putting the back seat down. Perfect for the music therapist on the go - harp in the trunk, drums and instruments in the back seat.

Thanks for listening to me gush about my new harp! I'm so very excited!!!!!!

~Rachel



2 comments:

  1. Wow! Awesome!! Would love to hear you play when we come to visit!! :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel--I have this same exact harp!! I bought it when I worked at Sacred Heart. I love it--it really is the perfect size to bring around to patients.

    Unfortunately, I don't know what the Celtic symbols are, so if you find out, let me know.

    If you are thinking about doing private practice, you can count this purchase as a tax write-off, as well as any maintenance you need to do on it.

    Happy practicing!

    ReplyDelete