Friday, February 24, 2012

I'm Golden - Literally

For the first time in my life, when asked how I was, I could reply, "I'm GOLDEN!" Why is this you ask? Well, yesterday was my GOLDEN birthday. I turned 23 years old on the 23rd - pretty simple, right?

I had just a great birthday yesterday! I lounged in my fuzzy pants all day, got birthday phone calls from a bunch of people (but happened to miss every call from my in-laws, not on purpose though), and worked on my quilt (which is a topic for another day).

OOH! And thank you to everyone for the birthday wishes!!!

Ed took me out for mexican at the place up the road from us. It's called La Fuente, or something like that. I have no idea how to spell it. Lucky me - we sat at table right in front of their fireplace. Actually, I asked if we could sit there because I'm terminally cold.


I just had to have a margarita - they're my favorite and a recent birthday tradition! It really makes me miss birthdays in Eau Claire with my music therapy ladies...

This was the first time Ed and I were able to go out together on my birthday. My birthday has fallen during the work week these past two years, so it would have been near impossible for Ed to drive up to Eau Claire during work, have dinner with me, and head back to Milwaukee all in on night - plus, it's very impractical.


When we got home after dinner, I was just stuffed on chips and salsa, enchiladas, rice, and beans. I just couldn't resist getting into my comfies! Either could Ed! In the words of George Costanze of Seinfeld, I was "ensconced in [fleece]." I just love wearing my fleece - fleece plants and a fleece top, and sometimes my bathrobe on top of all that! According to George, it would be pretty awesome to drape myself in fleece. If you're completely confused and have no idea what I'm talking about, please take a moment to watch this Seinfeld chip: 


To me, fleece is like velvet - I just love it! 


For dessert I made birthday brownies - Cappuccino Brownies to be exact. They are from my favorite baking book, Anyone Can Bake. I believe I've raved about this before on my blog, but I simply love this book! Now, I already know how to bake (it's in my blood - my grandparents were bakers), but it's nice to have a handy book that shows you all sorts of techniques with easy to follow and foolproof recipes. These were great!


Ed has fallen for the brownies in that baking book. They are very fudgy and yummy! Now, normally I think that brownies out of the box are the best, especially the ones from Ghirardelli - the turtle ones in particular. But these brownies take the cake!  In this recipe, the fudgy brownie is on the bottom, with a tan Cappuccino layer on top, with a fudgy chocolate glaze/frosting on the very top. I thought the neon candles added a nice touch as well. Too bad the wax started dripping after one minute of being lit! That's what I get for buying the $1 candles...



Ed made us drinks too! It's his own version of a White Russian, which is one of my favorites ; -) We used these fun drink glasses that my friend J. got us for a wedding gift. 

I had such a great birthday with Ed this year! I hope that my 23rd year brings with it lots of memories and fun times. 

~Rachel 

No comments:

Post a Comment